Stone House Asylum

This location has been on to do list for a while, access has been quite difficult but worth a while :) Hospital was originally constructed between 1862 and 1866 at the behest of the London Commissioners in Lunacy to provide for pauper lunatics from the London area. The buildings were designed in a Gothic brick style by James Bunstone Bunning, and the facility accommodated 220 patients. In 1924 the facility was renamed the City of London Mental Hospital, and in 1948 it was taken over by the new National Health Service and became known as Stone House Hospital. A 1998 assessment by Thames Healthcare suggested that the hospital was not suited for modern healthcare; plans for the hospital's closure were initiated in 2003. [taken from wikipedia.org]





No comments:

Post a Comment